Engineering Services Exam Eligibility Criteria: UPSC Indian Engineering Services Recruitment Examination is one of the toughest exams similar to Civil Services Exam. Every year a huge number of applicants will apply for this competitive exam. Most of the applicants are searching for the Engineering Services Exam Eligibility. Here is the list of IES Eligibility criteria for the candidates who have applied IES Exam. Candidates should ensure that they fulfill all Engineering Services Exam Eligibility in order to apply and write the ESE Exam. Candidates who do not fulfill the following IES Eligibility Criteria are suggested not to apply for the examination. As the IES application fee will not be refunded to the candidate once after the payment.
Engineering Services Exam Eligibility Criteria
Indian Engineering services consist of Class 1 Engineering officers. This Engineering Service’s works under the Government of India. Every year UPSC conducts a recruitment examination for the Eligible candidates in India. This recruitment exam is called the Indian Engineering Services Exam / IES Exam or Engineering Services Examination / ESE Exam. IES / ESE exam is one of the toughest & competitive recruitment exams conducted by the Union Public Service Commission of India. The selection ratio of this prestigious exam is 0.00275 based on the previous exams. As the competition is high, the candidates who are interested in applying for the IES Exam should prepare well for the exam. This is combined competitive recruitment exam is conducted for the qualified/eligible candidates for various posts under following categories:
- Civil Engineering.
- Mechanical Engineering.
- Electrical Engineering.
- Electronics & Telecommunication Engineering.
IES Exam Eligibility
The candidates who are interested in applying for the following posts should ensure that they have following IES Exam eligibilities.
IES Exam Nationality:
- He/She should be a citizen of India.
- He/She should be a subject of Bhutan who came over to India before1st January 1962. (With an intention of permanently settling in India).
- The person should be a subject of Nepal who came over to India before1st January 1962. (With an intention of permanently settling in India).
- Candidate should be a Tibetan Refugee who came over to India before 1st January 1962. (With an intention of permanently settling in India).
- A person of Indian Origin who has migrated from Pakistan, Burma, Sri Lanka or East African countries of Kenya, Uganda, the United Republic of Tanzania, Zambia, Malawi, Zaire, and Ethiopia or from Vietnam with the intention of permanently settling in India.
Candidates who are under the ii, iii, iv above should have a certificate of eligibility by the Government of India. These candidates are admitted to the examination without the certificate of eligibility, but the offer letter will only be issued after they get the Certificate of Eligibility by the Government of India.
|Civil Services Eligibility||Civil’s Examination||Civil’s Syllabus|
ESE Eligibility Age Limit:
- Candidates who are in between the age limit of 21 years (minimum age limit) to a maximum age is 30 years (upper age limit) are eligible to write the IES Exam 2017.
This age should be calculated as on 1st January 2017 i.e., he/she must have been born not earlier than 2nd January 1987 and not later than 1st January 1996.
- The upper age limit will be relaxable up to 35 years in the case of Government servants of the following categories.
Candidates employed in any of the following Departments under the control of any of the authorities mentioned in the table below and apply for admission to the examination anyone of the Service(s)/Post(s) mentioned in below, for which they are otherwise eligible. a) The relaxation will not be admissible to a candidate appointed against a permanent post in any one of the departments during the period of his probation.
b) A candidate who has been continuously in a temporary service on a regular basis in any of the Departments for at least 3 years on the 1st January 2017.
|Ministry of Railway (Railway Board)||I.R.S.E.
|Central Public Works Department||C.E.S. Group ‘A’, CE&MES Gr ‘A|
|Directorate General Ordnance Factories||I.O.F.S. Group ‘A’|
|Central Electricity Authority||C.P.E. Service Gr ‘B’|
|Ministry of Road Transport and Highways||Central Engineering Service Gr. ‘A’ (Roads)|
|Ministry of Telecommunication and
Information Technology, Dept. of
Telecommunication & Deptt. of Posts
|AEE of P&T Building Works Gr ‘A’ Service,
Engineer in Indian Radio Regulatory Service Gr ‘A’
|Directorate General of Supplies and
|I.I.S. Gr ‘A’,|
|Central Water Commission||Central Water Engineering Service Gr ‘A’|
|Geological Survey of India||Assistant Executive Engineer Gr ‘A’|
|Min of Science and Technology, Dept. of
Science and Technology
|Survey of India Gr ‘A’ Service|
|Border Roads Organisation||BRES Gr. ‘A’|
|Indian Navy||Indian Naval Armament Service, Asstt. Naval Store Officer Grade-I|
|Military Engineer Services||Indian Defence Service of Engineers (lDSE) Group ‘A’
AEE(QS&C( in Military Engineer Service (MES) Surveyor Cadre
|Corps of Electronics and Mechanical
Engineering, Min of Defence.
|AEE Gr ‘A’(Elect. Engg. Posts) in Corps of EME, Min of Defence.|
- Upper age limit for the candidates will be further relaxable:
a) Maximum of five years for the candidates belongs to the Scheduled Caste and Scheduled Tribe.
b) Maximum of three years for the candidates belong to the Other Backward Castes who are eligible.
c) If the candidate had ordinarily been domiciled in the state of Jammu and Kashmir during the period from the 1st January 1980 to the 31st of December 1989, the upper age limit is relaxed for a maximum of five years.
d) In the case of a Defence Services personnel, Disabled in operation during the hostilities with any foreign country or in a disturbed area, and released as a consequence thereof the upper age limit is relaxed for a period of three years.
e) Five years of age relaxation for the Ex-Servicemen including commissioned officers and ECOs/SSCOs.
f) Maximum of Ten years of age relaxation for the candidates who are deaf-mute or Orthopedically handicapped.
Note: Candidates who belong to the above categories SC/ST/OBS/Ex-Servicemen/PH must ensure that they are entitled to such relaxation benefits as per eligibility prescribed in the Rules. They should submit all the required certificates in the prescribed format in support of their claim as stipulated in the rules.
IES Exam Education Qualification Eligibility:
The minimum education for IES Exam Eligibility is detailed here. The candidates who are interested in applying for the IES exam must have this minimum educational qualification in order to attend the IES Exam.
- Candidate must have obtained a degree in Engineering from an Institution / University incorporated by an Act of Central or State Legislature in India or other educational institutions established by an Act of Parliament. (or)
- Candidate must have passed the Section A and B of the Institution exams of the Institution of Engineers (India) (or)
- Must have obtained a Degree or Diploma in Engineering from a college/institution/University recognized by the Government for the purpose from time to time. (or)
- Candidate must have passed the Graduate Membership Examination of the Institution of Electronics ad Telecommunications Engineers (India). (or)
- Candidate must have passed the Associate membership examination parts II and III of the Aeronautical Society of India. (or)
- Applicant must have passed Graduate Membership Examination of the Institution of Electronics and Radio Engineers, London held after November 1959.
In simple the candidate should have at least a bachelor’s degree in Engineering (B.E / B. Tech) or its equivalent from a recognized Universiy / College / Institution by the Government of India. M.Sc degree or its equivalent with wireless communications, Electronics, Radio Physics or Radio Engineering as special subjects also acceptable for certain services.
M.Sc degree or its equivalent with wireless communications, Electronics, Radio Physics or Radio Engineering as special subjects also acceptable for certain services.
ESE IES eligibility Percentage:
Currently, there is no pass percentage essential to apply for the Indian Engineering services. But the candidates should have qualified eligible degree and should have eligibility criteria as stated by the UPSC.
Final Words for the IES / ESE Exam Aspirants
This is all the Engineering Services Exam Eligibility for the candidates who are interested in applying for the examination. Candidates are advised to read the Engineering Services Exam Eligibility before applying for the IES Recruitment Exam. We always recommend rechecking the details of IES Eligibility in the official notification. You can also follow this page for latest update regarding the IES Eligibility. Hope your search for the IES Exam Eligibility ends here. If you have any queries you can ask us in the comments section. You can also read our previous post about the job allocation departments list for the selected candidates in ESE Exam. For regular updates, you can easily subscribe to our website for free.